History of Studio Korte Leidse
Studio Korte Leidse is the current name of a former sugar refinery. Dating from around 1850, the building has an industrial feel, accented by its pillars and beams. It was first called De Granaatappel (“The Pomegranate”), later changing its name to Spakler Tetterode.
The urban expansion that took place at the beginning of the 20th century and the ensuing economic crisis heralded the end of the smoke-belching refinery. In 1921 it finally went bankrupt, after which the building was converted into a biscuit factory known as De Lindeboom (“Lime tree” or “Linden tree”).
After 1925, the biscuit factory itself having folded, various businesses moved in to what later became known as Studio Korte Leidse. These included Cuproflex (a lighting business), Dutch Gloves, Clama (a clothing manufacturer), Holland Heads and the Caps Factory. The ground floor became a garage for milk wagons of the Milk Factory, which was then housed across the road in the present Melkweg (“Milky Way”). At the same time Society Lanx, a student association, occupied premises on the fourth floor. There it remained throughout World War II, only disbanding around 1970.
Around 35 years ago, when it was still performing in the Stadschouwburg (city theatre), de Nederlandse Opera (Dutch Opera) bought the building to house its offices and rehearsal studios. In those days, in order to reach the theatre, costumes and theatre props had to be carried by hand across the Lijnbaansgracht. Nowadays De Nederlandse Opera is housed under a single roof, the so-called Stopera, adjacent to the Waterlooplein.
Since 1985 the eight-floor Studio Korte Leidse has been a centre for small-scale creative businesses, under the management of the Studio Korte Leidse Foundation. Click for current tenants.